SAVE YOUR KNEES!
SAVE YOUR KNEES!
” How to have a Stronger, Healthy, and Happy Knee”
OVERVIEW OF KNEE ANATOMY
It is the most complex yet important joint which connects the two largest bones in a human body ( Femur and Tibia ) and
a small bone ( Patella or Knee cap ). The connection of the joint is stabilized and supported by 4 ligaments namely:
- ANTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT ( ACL )
- POSTERIOR CRUCIATE LIGAMENT ( PCL
- LATERAL COLLATERAL LIGAMENT ( LCL )
- MEDIAL COLLATERAL LIGAMENT ( MCL )
These enhance our lower limb movements and enables us to stand, walk, run, jump, bend, twist, turn and most of all it is a
pillar in holding our body weight upright against gravity. Knee problems are relatively very common and can occur in anyone
of all ages that interfere with many things and can have a big impact in our life.
The upper and lower bones ( Femur and Tibia ) of the knee are coated and protected by a soft layer of tissue called cartilage, which cushions the gliding motion in the joint. In between the two bone is the meniscus which act as a shock absorber for the joint while and during the movement of the joint. Knee pain can be caused by prolonged years of wear and tear ( Degenerative Joint Disease ), Sports Injuries, Traumatized and overload conditions. Some of the most common knee pain symptoms are:
DEGENERATIVE JOINT DISEASE:
- Chondromalacia Patella
- PatelloFemoral Pain Syndrome
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Joint Arthritis
- Suprapatellar Bursitis
- Patellar Tendinosis
- Meniscus, ACL / PCL tear
- Patellar Fracture
- Jumper’s Knee
- Runner’s Knee
POST OPERATIVE SYMPTOMS:
- Contracture and Effusion of the Knee Joint (eg: Post Arthroscopy)
- Total Knee Replacement
- Osteotomy and other Post Operative Procedures
PREVENTION, PROTECTION AND CARING FOR THE KNEE:
” Use it OR Lose It “…. So to speaks, when there is poor circulation to the knee joint, the bone and cartilage gradually degenerate faster, ligament loosens, and weaken hence it causes pain. When the cartilage surface wears off due to poor activity and blood circulation, the surface starts to deteriorate and cause sharp pain, weakness, and sometimes locking of the joint. In most cases people who are sedentary tends to gain weight hence, it resulted in weight bearing compression on the knee joint causes severe pain.
Many methods of Prevention, Protection, and caring of the knee pain can be instilled by doing the following:
1. Regular exercises of 150- 300 minutes over a week ( 30 – 60 minutes a day spread over 7 days eg: Brisk walking, ligh jogging, swimming, cycling, etc.)
2. Daily physical stretches to maintain a good range of motion for every joint in the body. The Range of Motion exercises help to maintain and increase mobility and flexibility of muscles and joints. It can also relieve stiffness of the knee joint.
3. Keep your bodily weight in check with a satisfactory BMI, heavy weight increases strain and stress to the knee joint.
4. A good warm up of at least 10 – 20 minutes to increase blood circulation t the knee joint before commencing exercises.
5. Avoid high impact intensity warm up and sudden increase of exercise intensity.
6. Increase strengthening exercise on the lower limb particularly the quadriceps muscle eg: Leg raise and extension seated or lying face up, squatting or lunges with weight, ascending stairs, cycling, etc.
7. Use the right and proper shoe for both exercises and walking. Put in place of orthotic insoles or knee support during physical activities.
8. Maintain a good musculoskeletal balance with stable core muscle.
9. Avoid heavy back pack or bag to prevent unnecessary muscle imbalance and overloading on musculoskeletal joints.
10. Keep a good posture with a strong lower back, imbalance hip and leg length discrepancy can be a result of weak lower back and poor posture, which can cause knee pain.
11. A healthy diet with high protein, amino acid, and balanced supplement can alleviate knee pain.
12. Use of heat and cold compress in the event of overloading and strain in the knee joint.
13.It is highly recommend to have musculoskeletal balancing therapies like Sports Massage, Pre and Post Run Therapy, Musculoskeletal and Muscle Imbalance Pain Therapy, Knee pain Therapy, etc.
Many submit knee pain due to degeneration of the joint and suffered in pain, as a result resorted to invasive surgical procedures like Knee Arthroscopy, Corticosteroid Injection, and Knee Replacement. Such painful physical and emotional stress episodes can be avoided through many forms of prevention, protection, and care for the knee joints.
Pain CLinic @ Wellness Philosophy offers many different safe and effective knee treatment coupled with rehabilitation knee exercises program.
Our knee treatment therapy does not involve any invasive procedures, needles, and drugs.
SAVE YOUR KNEES NOW!
Call us now!
HOTLINE: +65 – 6223 71 70